Pixelated Semantics


A schizotypical inventory


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
May 26, 2006

More differentiated

The Oz reports on the latest damage control from the White House:

'Mr Bush expressed regret for calling for terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden to be brought in "dead or alive" and taunting Iraqi insurgents by saying "bring 'em on".

The blunt-speaking Texan said it was "kind of tough talk that sent the wrong signal to people. I learned some lessons about expressing myself maybe a little in a more sophisticated manner [...] I think in certain parts of the world it was misinterpreted and so I learned from that."'
And:
'I think that probably in retrospect, though at the time it was very difficult to argue this, we could have done de-Baathification in a more differentiated way than we did.'
The Australian describes the speechifying as 'extraordinarily humble', which could be taken to either be bias in favour of Bush, or a backhander that implies he's very rarely anything but arrogant. In contrast, here is part of the transcript from NPR:
"Saying 'Bring it on.' Kind of tough talk, you know, that sent the wrong signal to people. That I learned some lessons about expressing myself maybe in a little more sophisticated manner. You know, 'Wanted dead or alive,' that kind of talk. I think in certain parts of the world it was misinterpreted."

Comments: Post a Comment